One of the best yogurt drinks ever yet incredibly simple
Imagine a refreshing yogurt drink that is ultra creamy, delicately flavorful and perfectly sweet without any added sugar.
That’s exactly what this mango yogurt smoothie is about.
This post will show you how to make this amazing beverage in a couple of minutes and with only 3 super healthy ingredients.
It’s so simple and tasty, it will probably become one of your favorite drinks!
What does mango lassi taste like?
A mango lassi is a sweet, smooth blend of yogurt and fresh ripe mango.
It tastes like creamy yogurt milkshake with hints of juicy tropical flavor that will even appeal to people who don’t like mangoes.
In fact, I didn’t like eating mango before trying this lassi drink, and now I LOVE it!
Is mango lassi a healthy drink?
The ingredients of mango lassi are very nutritious.
But some already made lassis have added sugar, so I think it’s much better to make them at home. You’ll know exactly what is on your cup!
This recipe for mango yogurt smoothie offers, among others, these benefits:
- Yogurt (or curd) is a the most important ingredient in a lassi. This fermented, nutrient-dense food of contains high levels of calcium, B vitamins, trace minerals as well as protein. It also provides probiotics, that may improving digestive health and overall immunity.
- Mango has low calorie content, but is packed with nutrients: it’s a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, folate and vitamin K. This juicy fruit also provides lutein, beta carotene and xeaxanthin, antioxidants that may be beneficial for eye health. Eating mango may also contribute to weight management and fight cancer cells. Plus, mango aroma hat a soothing and relaxing effect.
Is there a difference between a mango yogurt smoothie and a lassi?
The short answer is no.
Lassi is a traditional yogurt drink that can be salty or sweet.
Sweet lassi commonly contain some kind of fruit and one of the most popular is mango lassi, a blend of yogurt, water, spices and mango.
So, basically it’s like a (spiced) mango smoothie with yogurt.
I barely use any spices in this recipe because I love how simple these ingredients are on their own.
That’s why I call this a smoothie, but you could call it a lassi instead – it would be right either way.
How to make homemade mango lassi
I came to this exact recipe trying to make a refined sugar-free and a more natural version of my favorite mango lassi brand.
But mango yogurt smoothie is actually the easiest thing to make: just blend mango with plain yogurt and some water.
I recommend the proportions below; they will get you a silky and AMAZING yogurt drink that will have your taste buds singing in harmony.
- 1 ripe mango (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup of plain, unsweetened yogurt (works also great with Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup of water
- A pinch of salt (optional but recommended)
- Cardamom powder to taste (optional)
Ideas to adapt this recipe to your taste
The quantities I recommend in this mango lassi recipe are fail proof, but the beauty of this mango recipe is that you can easily adapt it and make it your own.
Here are some suggestions to give this mango milkshake a personal touch:
- This smoothie recipe is very rich, but if you would like a more runny beverage, you can slightly increase the amount of water.
- Since this recipe brings a quite delicate mango flavor, hardcore mango lovers might also enjoy doubling the mango amount up to 2 pieces.
- If you wish a more intense color, feel free to add a pinch of turmeric powder to the blend.
- I really don’t think you need to add any sweeteners, but if you’d like your beverage sweeter, the best are honey, maple syrup or agave syrup.
How to make a vegan mango lassi
You can swap dairy yogurt for any plant-based alternative like coconut yogurt or use vegan kefir, like this homemade soja milk kefir.
Just note that if you use kefir instead of yogurt, you probably won’t need to add water to the blend because homemade kefir is runnier than yogurt.
Mango yogurt smoothie (mango lassi)
- 1 mango
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup water
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- ground cardamom to taste (optional)
- chopped pistachios for decoration (optional)
- Wash the mango and prepare the flesh.
- Gather mango, yogurt and water and blend together. Add some salt and cardamom if desired.
- Any kind of yogurt works well: low fat, Greek yogurt…
- For a vegan alternative, use plant-based yogurt or homemade soy kefir instead of dairy yogurt
- Mango lassi is a delicious, creamy smoothie made of mango and yogurt
- The ingredients to make a mango yogurt smoothie are very nutritious
- Mango makes this lassi sweet enough even without added sweeteners
- This drink recipe allows many adaptations depending on your taste: make it vegan swapping dairy yogurt for a plant-based alternative, add more mango for a more intense frugal taste or use some spices.