Have you ever wondered if apples and pears taste good together in a smoothie?
The answer is yes!
This is exactly what this easy smoothie recipe is about: a healthy apple pear smoothie that only needs 3 ingredients and tastes like a refreshing treat.
Do you know that feeling when something tastes healthy but at the same time, like a treat?
Well, so does this apple and pear smoothie!
It’s refreshing, mildly sweet and it remind of the taste of apple pie.
Many smoothies contain banana to make them creamy and sweet, and while I don’t have anything against it, sometimes, you just want something different.
This smoothie gets its mellow sweetness from apple and pear, and because it has a crunchy texture (in the good way), it’s very satisfying.
It’s also loaded with vitamins, provides a great amount of protein and it satisfies your sweet tooth without the need of any additional sweeteners.
Enjoy this apple and pear smoothie for a quick breakfast or snack! (I like it specially in autumn and winter)
Reasons to love this smoothie
What you’ll need
Variations for this smoothie
- Too thick for your taste? Add 1/4 of your milk of choice. Water also works.
Swapping Greek yogurt for low-fat yogurt will also make the consistency of the smoothie less thick while cutting on calories.
- For a slushy texture, use frozen fruit. You’ll then need to add around a cup of milk to the blend.
- For a smoother texture: you may add 1 banana and 1 cup of milk.
- How to make it vegan: substitute the yogurt for a plant-based alternative. Homemade soy kefir also works great for this smoothie.
- Other spices that go well: for a more pie-like taste, add a pinch of apple pie spices and vanilla.
How to make apple pear smoothie
As with most smoothies, making this one is as easy as it gets:
Time needed: 5 minutes
How to make a smoothie with apple and pear
- Prepare the fruits
Wash the apple and pear. Core and chop the fruit.
- Blend everything together.
It’s easier to blend when the softest ingredients are closest to the blades.
For example, if you are using a hand mixer, first add the apples, followed by pear and yogurt at last.
On the contrary, when using a food processor or blender in which the blades are below, it’s best to first pour the yogurt, than the pear and apple on the top.
- Use a high speed blender for a creamier texture.
However, as you can see in my pictures, when I first crafted this recipe, I only had a hand mixer and it also worked.
- You don’t necessarily need to peel the pear and the apple.
Specially if you use pesticide free, organic fruit and a strong blender.
This makes the smoothie healthier (more fiber and antioxidants), easier to make (you’ll only need to core and chop) and prettier (you’ll get green and red bits from the skin).
- Maybe you are wondering if you don’t need to add liquids to the smoothie.
Both apple and pears are full of water, so you won’t need to add extra liquid. This makes for a texture that reminds of milkshake.
FAQs about this apple pear smoothie
You don’t have to peel them before blending, unless you prefer to do it.
I usually peel my pears to eat them, but I don’t peel them for this recipe.
One of the beauties of this smoothie is it’s crispy texture, almost chewable.
But if you prefer smoother smoothies, try adding a tablespoon almond butter, a banana and 1 cup of milk to it.
Keep in mind than with these add-ons you will get nearly double the amount of smoothie (3-4 servings as opposed to the original 1-2).
Yes, these fruits can be frozen; just remember to core and chop them before putting them in the freezer.
You can blend them either when they are still frozen or defrost them at room temperature first.
If you blend them when they are still frozen, you might need to add a little bit of milk (any type will do).
Apple pear smoothie recipe
- 1 Blender
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 1 Cup Greek yogurt
- Cinnamon or Apple pie spice to taste
- Wash, core and chop your apple and pear.You don’t necessarily need to peel the fruit (I don’t, specially when using a strong blender).
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.Enjoy immediately.
- When using frozen apple and/or pear, add and 1 cup of milk
- If the texture is too thick, add 1/4 cup of milk of choice
- Substitute Greek yogurt for low fat yogurt for a skinny version or for soymilk kefir for a vegan smoothie
I hope you enjoy this easy-to-make apple pear smoothie!
For other smoothies that will make you feel cozy, check these healthy yet delicious smoothie recipes: